Thursday, April 2, 2009

"That's So Gay" from GLSEN

.
.

.
.
.

.
.
.

7 comments:

Rox said...

While I agree using gay to describe something lame can be insulting, its just kind of too late to do anything about it.

Someone somewhere is going to be offended by something we say.

"Wow that midterm really raped my brain."

Someone who has been raped might be offended. But you know, we shouldn't censor ourselves because we are afraid we might offend someone.

It's just these terms are, in my view, acceptable in society. Also, it depends who saying it too.

The video would be more effective to me if the teens were replaced with, I don't know, a super hardcore traditionalist. Or something. Maybe.

The second video, I remember watching that on TV. It made me sad.

D. said...

when people say "that's so gay!" it only reinforces the (outdated) idea that being gay is bad. even if the people who use the word "gay" that way don't realize what they say is hurtful, it still holds a negative connotation to an integral part of someone's identity.

D. said...

ps i loled at the first one

Steevo said...

@X!: I disagree. In my classroom students know that such language is unacceptable. Once I overheard a new kid talking with other students b4 class INSIDE my classroom. He used "gay" that way. A lot of kids quickly clued him in that Mr. ________________ will not like that, so cool it.

At least they have an awareness At the start of the school year I do my "gay" talk/doscussion. I am nearly a legend for it.

steevo

Rox said...

I see where you are coming from. :)

Though it just seems today everything is becoming more diluted. When I started high school, girls will call each other bitches and it wouldn't offend them. I was amazed.

But all in all, it is how the term is being used and who is saying it.

I would be more offended if a homophobic person who wielded "God hates fags" signs says it than 3 silly teens.

(And for some reason I can not truly explain, I would be more enraged if I hear children calling each other gay than the 3 teens. I guess I am assuming teens are less ignorant than children.

However I know, and possibly you might know [being you are a HS teach], that is not always the case.)

Cheers!

x!

Mirrorboy said...

lol Wanda Sykes ftw. :)

Everyone says it here. -_-

Dean Grey said...

"That's so 16-year-old boy with a cheesy mustache"

LOL!

I agree 100% with the Wanda Sykes ad.

I think a lot of straight people don't realize saying "that's so gay" is seen as derogatory to gays because they aren't necessarily talking about homosexuals in the first place.

It's more of a put down, like Wanda said, to say something is dumb or stupid. But people using that phrase should realize it links being gay with being something "uncool" in an indirect way.

As time goes on though, when being gay is more readily accepted, I think "that's so gay" will not be used as much. But only time will tell.

-Dean