Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Head Up my ASS You Say?

My recent post about Carl Joseph Walker Hoover upset anonymous commenter a LOT!

He sed I have my head up my ass even.

You know what?

HE WAS RIGHT!


Well, sorta. As many of us do, I get my fair amount of hate comments and hate emails. And I must confess I read them and as soon as I get the "tone" I delete it or skim thru it quickly, perhaps in self defense. Who needs that shit, ya know?

But [always a 'but' with teachers...] I now realize that I really did not read him accurately. Yes, his rants are very personal attacks, but his problem with ME is that I'm not a radical enough advocate for gay kids like Carl Joseph Walker Hoover who offed himself after constant bullying at school.

He thinks I am a lazy borrower of other sources. Maybe. But what he does NOT know it seems is the following:

1. It's my F'n blog.
2. I do a lot more commenting that blogging.
3. I've told many true stories about me early on in this blog. They show me to be an ardent advocate for gay teens. Well, IMHO.
4. I have many people, young and old/er who I IM with for support and PERSONAL individual affirmation. That's me; my style as it has emerged...
5. I presume the intelligence of my readers.
6. I am very selective about what I post from "other" sources. Then people comment and, as a good educator should do, I shut the fuck up and let the "lesson" evolve. I comment as I feel necessary to be sure that MY point is included, preferably by someone else. That's good pedagogy FFS.
7. He claims to be a fighter for gay teens. Great. So am I. I just do it my way.
8. Here I get to be me. No professional constraints. I like that. And I get ideas for lessons at school and GSA meetings. Like R0sewhip137's YouTube video "If I Were Straight".

So anon, we queers are a diverse bunch. You tend to be divisive, a shit disturber. "Kewl!" And, as history shows, it people like you that promote desirable social change more than people like me. MLK, Patrick Henry, Harvey Milk... that's very good company.

Steevo does not respond well to comments that begin, "R.I.P. my ass" and then proceeds to rip MY ass. [come on admit it, that was clever writing...]

I misread your point entirely. How embarrassing for a so called teacher...

Oh well, as I told someone recently here in an IM, "Sometimes life is a shit sandwich and you gotta take your bite."

Chewing and choking,

steevo in cali

p.s. thanks to the other anonymous commenter who came to my defense. The check is in the mail and ______________________________.
.
.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're totally right steevo. this is your blog. your place to record your thoughts and feelings. you don't have to justify your opinions in the face of pigheadedness.

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad I started following and checking in regularly - in a world where "fair and balanced" is anything but - your outlook is a ray of sunshine

D. said...

i've also been following your blog, and anyone else who has also will know that you shared plenty of personal opinions and experiences early on. this person needs to really go back and look at your older posts to understand where you are coming from.

good response.

D. said...

I meant "i've also been following your blog from the beginning"

Steevo said...

@goleft... fuck fair and balanced...

this is steevo world....
either u get it or it is yer loss...

[humble too!]

@gay+teen... aussie bril! LOL

@david...is this guy sweet or what...

steevo

G said...

All I can say is I support you totally. I am glad I found your blog. No good deed goes unpunished. Nuff said, Mike studio city ca

Anonymous said...

Dear Steevo:

Thanks for responding to my comment! I'm proud of you for your partial apology, as well as for your explanation; not to mention that you seem to have ceased sniping at me with the collusion of others.

It may surprise you, but you actually praised me with the highest possible honors when you commented on my comment in an ancient post on mirrorboy's blog. If you admired me then, you have no cause to despise me now; I'm still the same lowly, but eloquent advocate for freedom as I was then. I know that you mean well, and have great intentions for the future, based almost exclusively on my review of public comments you've made on other blogs I follow.

For numerous reasons; including, but not limited to, the fact that you're a CA resident, an OUT gay schoolteacher, a blogger with a following, in touch with fellow bloggers on a very personal level, and a happily married gay man, WE VALUE YOUR PERSONAL OPINIONS!!!!!

Sadly, we can't value that which you don't share....

I would still like to know exactly what you would have felt if Mr. Walker, deceased, had been a student at YOUR school. I'm sure you would have had more to say than the obvious, that you were "deeply saddened" by his death [which was the only public statement made by the school in your borrowed video]. I implore you to assist those of us who don't have children in public school, those of us who don't live in CA and understand its school rules, those of us who aren't teachers; but, those of us who know, deep in our hearts, that we have an obligation to learn from this tragedy and take some form of decisive action. Help us who want to help others!!!!!!!

I've never supported the type of advocacy espoused by groups like ACT-UP - nobody gets much in the way of results by throwing blood on Senators and Congressmen... I've always believed that advocacy on the behalf on individuals, quietly, but with determination, is the key to our succcess. You wouldn't believe the number of people I've confronted about gay issues who've stated that they have no need to address such issues because they have no gay constituents! It's always gratifying to tell a pastor or a principal that they'd best pay attention to me because I'm speaking on behalf of one of their children, among others. Most, if not all, have suffered an immediate and dramatic reversal of position on any issues they may be publicly advocating, along with the private and more important reconciliation with their own family members.

I respect your personal aversion to muckraking, just as I ask you to respect my need to continue to be 'anonymous.' However, given who you are and where you live, not to mention what you claim to represent, you must find a way to share with us, your friends, the details that let us know how we can be more effective advocates for gay and questioning youth.

Every kid who dies because it's too difficult to be gay in our world is but another shameful reminder to those of us who watch, silently, knowing that we have not done our part to make our world at least survivable for those who are different.

naturgesetz said...

Glad we've got that all sorted out.

Of course you're entitled to do your blog your way. And anonymous is entitled to wish for, and ask for, more. And you don't have to give it if you don't want to.

Steevo said...

@anon above... I never colluded, honest. It's the fan base! LOL

Mr Walker would never have died here at my school. I woulda heard about it and raised seven kinds of hell, but most importantly, any number of GSA students would have stepped in one way or another.

Our principal is adamant, as is the district, to stop any sorta bullying. It's because they truly believe in equity and safe schools, but also law suits have them scared shitless, which is good too.

And the school board is loaded with sympathetic members. It's cali ffs, silly cone Valley/SF Bay Area.

So find out if yer local school union is gay friendly. Ask who they support for election. IF the person wants to save money and avoid lawsuits.

There are national gay teen advocate orgs. Lambda "something" I think. I "borrowed" some of their stuff. GLSEN, PFLAG. Join local chapters, donate, volunteer.

Get churches to sponsor a showing of films like Prayers for Bobby.

Build awareness. Letters to editor. Online comments about stories like Mr. Walker. Your local rag no doubt carried it if they cover any national news.

My opinion? Use common sense. When you hear gay bashing respond, esp. at work.

If your state has ANY progressive legislatures, help them. See who local Gay Rights political orgs. support.

Google: Gay Rights + your city + your state.

BTW... in modern media "borrowing" is called linking and it's the way we communicate, organize.

The videos I put up are for younger students especially who listen and watch more than write emails or read long articles. I wish they would read more, but I will communicate in the best way possible to hook them in to healthy attitudes and behavior.

OK almost class time... This is GSA work so it's OK. LOL

I just wanted to respond.

BTW "partial apology" ???

...I did take a bite of the sandwich...

...and what ancient mirrorboy comment???

steevo, fresh breath, well flossed, triple rinsed...
.
...no time to edit... figger it out...
.

Anonymous said...

Up yours Steevo - and many of them!

All power to you.

Sethy said...

Hey Steevo...

Keep it up. I am proud of your attitude, and would feel more so if my kids attended your school.

I think you may have just inspired me to start something like PFLAG in our small city. Even though there may be a high level of acceptance of gay kids around my parts, there are no support groups as far as I know.

Time to do my homework.....

Mirrorboy said...

Idk what's going on but i love you. :)