Thursday, April 16, 2009

RIP: 11 year old Carl Joseph Walker Hoover, dead from school bullying

CNN's Anderson Cooper and the Hetrick-Martin Institute's Thomas Krever examine the problem of anti-gay bullying in schools, referring to the recent death of 11-year-old Carl Joseph Walker Hoover, who committed suicide after enduring consistent harassment in school.

.
.
.

.
.
.

18 comments:

Lightning Baltimore said...

That made me cry.

So much hatred in the world over what we are, no matter who we are.

naturgesetz said...

It is so poignant. It brought tears to my eyes. It also makes me angry at school officials who say they have "a policy" but do nothing in a situation where the "policy" is clearly ineffective.

Aek said...

Such is the world we still live in, eh? Hopefully some paradigm shift is coming, like that of racial equality. But I wonder, won't kids just find a means to bully by identifying some other difference? Does human nature bound "us" to such base things?

Tyler said...

this is sad. so, very, sad.

the "he wanted to be president, so he could change the world" really hit a chord with me.

at the age of 11, i didnt even know what 'gay' was; i cant even begin to immagine the mental impact it would have on a child to be called those names.

i suppose i'm fortunate, that at my school, teachers will take action if they here homophobic bullying. i've even had two teachers lecture the class on the use of "that's so gay".

i'm not sure if it's culture, or politics, that caused what i noted above, but hopefully, one day, it can be universal, just like racial bullying is today (for the most part)

Anonymous said...

"RIP" my ass, Steevo in Cali!!!!!!!! I hope this dead kid is the most restless ghost ever to exist in California, and I hope that he traumatizes the dreams of everyone even remotely associated with secondary education in your state!!!!!!!

You're an OUT gay school teacher - Where in the hell is your [supposedly] enlightened opinion on this enduring blight on our youth?

For what it's worth, I've asked you serious questions in the past, here on your blog, and have gotten ignored or criticized for being 'anonymous'. My most recent comment was on your February 24, 2009 post, which was totally ignored. My previous comments, earlier and which I don't feel like looking up now, prompted derision, as you stated here that someone without his own blog wasn't worthy of a response! I press you for responses because you're in a unique position to comment objectively on circumstances and situations that most gay men never get a chance to fully understand or actively affect.

Just in case you got your teaching license without attending Common Sense 101 your freshman year in college, here's the deal: Most gay men don't have kids in school, or, if they do, they aren't allowed any contact with them. Most gay men are hypersensitive about having any contact with tweens or teens of ANY sexual orientation, for fear of accusations of recruiting. Most gay men are NOT in touch with the meat and bones of this issue, no matter how much they may want to be involved; because, let's face it, we don't have kids! DUH! What we can do, as proud gay men, is remember what it was like for us as we negotiated Middle School and High School, and hope and wish that it might be different for those who come after us.

UNFORTUNATELY, we all know the answer to the question: "Wish in one hand and shit in the other, see which one gets full first!"

How can we know what to do [that's the wish] if people like you don't have balls enough to share your opinions and advice, and all we have to go on is other people's YouTube videos and platitudes about pink T-shirts [that's the shit]?

You've got a moral imperative to do MORE than just report gay pseudo-news, especially IF you are really a secondary school teacher. For example:

If you were reporting more than the pseudo-news, you would have wondered out loud [ie. in print, here] about why the news report contained NOTHING more definitive or specific than the Chairman of the Board's statement that he was "deeply saddened." You would have asked about the mother's calls to teachers, school administrators, and other local authorities. You would have asked about the specific anti-bullying policy at this school AND for proof that it was enforced. You would have asked if other children at the same school had reported similar incidents, and, if so, what actions were taken on their behalf. You would have asked if the administration, which should have been aware of the bullying that this student was facing, discussed these issues in the weekly Faulty meeting [you know, that bullshit meeting you attend once a week so your Principal stays pleased with you]. In short, you would have acknowledged that you actually DID SOMETHING and that we should also DO SOMETHING, and you should have told us what you did and why we should follow in your footsteps.

I could go on and on, but the most important question I have is:

Steevo, can you pull your head out of your ass and respond to a serious inquiry?

Dean Grey said...

This is so very sad.

I agree with the other comments here. The schools need to do more. Having special laws and rules is nice but pointless if the teachers and administration do nothing about them.

Why not make schools a place of learning, where children can feel safe? And should some of them not feel safe for whatever reason have a place to go to within that school and voice their concern.

So very sad not just for the loss of Carl but for how the school system is failing its youth.

And lastly, I agree with "anonymous" on some things.

You are in a very unique position, "steevo", in that you are a teacher in school.

Let's hear your honest feedback here. Let's hear your unique perspective and what you think should be done.

Thanks!

-Dean

G said...

Steevo, nice to find your blog. I like smart sites. I will tell you more about me later. Just wanted to say hi. Also, I am just beginning to get the hang of blogging. I just posted my photo today. Later, Mike studio city, ca

Steevo said...

@Mike:
thx

kewl

let me know if u have any ?s.....

s

G said...

I just read what anonymous was ranting about. He probably does not want to show himself because he either has a hood over his head or a hole in his head. As you know we had to deal with the murder of the student by his classmate in Oxnard. The victim was Lawrence King. The trial has been delayed but should begin in May. I have always been gay and was lucky tnat my school years were not to difficult. I even took home ec when I was in 4H, I was twelve. I lived in Yuma az. Like any young man I had self worth issues, but I was not going to hide what I was. So, if you really have something to say, DO NOT HIDE. Mike, studio city, ca.

Steevo said...

re: April 16, 2009 7:53 PM

Anon's message makes little sense. He makes various vaguely worded points and presents opinion statements as fact. Once we read "RIP my ass..." we can see where he's coming from.

He hardly merits a reply. He even implies he is gay by pronoun use.

Definitely not one of the great minds of the last 100 years! I'm leaving it up so people can see how absurd he is.

steevo
.
.

G said...

Steevo, very well put. I believe you may be brilliant. How refreshing. A Hug for you, Mike, studio city, ca

Steevo said...

@mike, studio city... thanks for the compliment. I call 'em like i see 'em, and anon is a "no brainer"...

U got email or some IM thang like MSN or AIM or ????.

welcome, btw

steevo

G said...

I have google mail, I will E-mail you tomarrow. Mike s.c. ca

Anonymous said...

I think it's really 'kewl' that Mike takes my comment as a 'rant' and assumes that I'm a Klansman or an idiot, and that you endorse his opinion by stating that I make 'little sense', that I 'make vaguely worded points', and that I 'hardly merit a reply'. Maybe you two set me up to comment again - if so, here goes:

I was extremely sad and angry when I saw this post, and your decision to offer your readers a video devoid of any real factual information, coupled with your trademark reluctance to include any personal opinion or action statements left me really pissed off. I was firmly in this mood when I wrote my earlier comment.

Since I know I did NOT write vaguely, and since I know of you because you're crosslinked with several bloggers I follow who do chose to share their personal feelings and plans for action, I chose to chastise you for NEVER sharing your personal opinion, even in the cases where it matters most!

If I don't deserve a reply, fine. However, if you're playing some other game, it's time to get real.

Yes, I'm gay - just as queer as a three dollar bill. I think I'm about 10 years older than you. I've been jailed [as in put principles before prudence] at least 10 times for my advocacy on the behalf of specific gay and/or questioning youth, and have steeled myself for jail countless other times when I have defied the authorities on behalf of my disenfranchised friends. I've paid my dues AND stand willing to continue to question ignorant and bigoted authority when it hits too close to home.

At present, I'm "anonymous" - because I have to be! I live in one of the few southern states that still has not repealed CAN laws, even in light of the Supreme's ruling; plus, since I don't hang out online, I don't have all various and sundry IM addresses and fictitious email addresses. I'm simply not willing to divulge information sufficient to potentially identify myself to everyone who might stumble across your blog.

Your blog seems to be comprised of post after post of stuff "borrowed" from elsewhere. I think I ask a legitimate question when I ask you for YOUR OPINION and/or ADVICE. Other commentors have responded in support of my questions, yet you continue to hide behind snide remarks and put-downs. I get it that you're a fan of YouTube and of every propaganda symbol of every conceivable gay-friendly organization in the English-speaking world - what I'm still waiting for is STEEVO's real thoughts, opinions, actions, experiences, etc. on behalf of those you so diligently claim to support.

Case in point - There are NO gay teachers anywhere near where I live, but there are teachers that everyone suspects are gay. Gay teachers would lose their jobs here, for all of the usual reasons, along with a few new ones we probably haven't yet heard. I know that CA is the land of fruits and nuts, but there, at least, you can be an OUT gay school teacher.

Re-read my comment and respond accordingly - or not.

I'm not out to "get" you, I'm genuinely interested in what you think.

Anonymous said...

well, anon, steevo may have his head up his ass, but your abusive COMMENTS will only help him keep it there.

BY ANY CHANCE HAVE YOUR READ ALL HIS POSTS, ESPECIALLY THE EARLY ONES?I have followed him from the start so I look at his videos and "newsy" things in an accurate context.

I suggest you read ALL his posts and maybe you will understand him better.

naturgesetz said...

The Boston Globe ran a story about this in the April 20 edition of the paper.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/04/20/constantly_bullied_he_ends_his_life_at_age_11/

Baz said...

Steevo.
I've read your post, and the comments, there's clearly 2 Anonymouses here.
Your blog is your blog. It's up to you what you want to post.
Having read his comments, several times, I have empathy with his views. But why take it out on you? You are doing what you can in your own environment. If anonymous feels so strongly about it, and he clearly does, why doesn't he express those views , either on his own blog, or directly to the authorities in his own area? This is like, I'll push it to you, your problem now.
I find it sad that so many people hold views on "equality", yet do not choose to become public about expressing those views.
I've worked with kids, professionally, and to be frank, have little respect for many teachers. The good ones are really good, have empathy with kids, and I think you fit into this category. There are, however, too many who really shouldn't be there. I guess I shouldn't complain too much, because they've kept me employed sorting the crap out for kids.
luv, Baz

Steevo said...

@BAZ: Well I did misunderstand where anonymous was coming from. His initial salvo earned him a [too quick] judgment that he was just another wacko 'phobe. My bad; or now the kids r saying my FAIL! XD

He did get me thinking, that there might be a grain (very small of course) of truth in his rant. I also rant sometimes, even in comments.

Thanks

steevo