Sunday, November 2, 2008

Remembering: The Whole World is Watching

Tim [ http://euroestilo8.blogspot.com/2008/11/whole-world-is-watching.html ] posted today about his frustration and worry for LGBT teens who live in fear of violence. He mentioned Matthew Shepard and Lawrence King, a 15 year old boy who was killed by a fellow student last February in southern California because he apparently thought Lawrence was gay. Tim knows what he's talking about first hand. Be sure to read his post.

Here's a video PSA that was made after Lawrence King was murdered.

GLSEN, the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network, is honored to partner with Logo on a new public service announcement campaign denouncing hate in the wake of junior high student Lawrence King's murder.





Read more at: http://www.glsen.org/cgi-bin/iowa/all/news/record/2277.html
.
.

7 comments:

Peter said...

Hey Steevo!

You posted some great advice on my blog, and I was wondering if you would post a link on your blog to my blog. I have already linked you. I hope that's alright.

Peter

Anonymous said...

I think we have to constantly remind ourselves, never be too early to judge someone. We will never really understand what's going on exactly in their heads.

Here's a story, not sure if anyone read about it:-

http://www.fridae.com/newsfeatures/article.php?articleid=2327&viewarticle=1

naturgesetz said...

Efforts like this are very important. One major problem is that gay-bashers are so often people who are trying to convince themselves that they are not gay (when they really are). But it is important to have a climate of tolerance and respect in our schools so that nothing reinforces the sickness of those who think they need to become violent.

D. said...

:(

STOP THE HATE!!!!!

i agree with Janus and Naturgesetz's comments.

Laurie said...

I read his blog....I don't put up
with the kids saying 'THAT'S GAY'
There was one boy that kept saying
that and I said out loud
'YOU'RE GAY? YOU KNOW, I DON'T CARE
BUT YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU
COME OUT' He was at a lose for
words and hasn't said that since...
The glbt kids know that they are
safe with me....Last year...there
was a gay male couple..They could
hold hands and they even gave
each other a kiss without anything
being said or done...I'm really
proud of the students...

HUGS!

naturgesetz said...

@ david

I don't think the supporters of Prop 8 thought of it as taking away happiness from people. The issue in their minds (and mine, even though I don't live in Cali) wasn't, "Shall we make gay couples unhappy?" but, "How should our laws define marriage?" Oh sure, there were probably a few who wanted to make gay people miserable, but I really think that the unhappiness you and many others feel today is a by-product rather than the intended effect of Prop 8.

Lightning Baltimore said...

From discussions with people on-line, I can tell you that a huge number of folks who don't think we should marry don't give a flying fuck about the unhappiness and pain it causes us.

"Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" apparently does not apply to homosexuals. Besides, that's just in The Declaration of Independence, not the U.S. Constitution, so it's irrelevant.

I've pointed out to many people who think we shouldn't be allowed to marry how we are greatly negatively affected legally and financially by that denial and the response is always the same: "Boo hoo hoo, faggot, I don't fucking care. You should've considered that when you made the choice to be gay, so just suffer the consequences of being an abomination to God, you filthy pervert." Of course, I've paraphrased a bit. And those people will tell you it is definitely a choice until they are blue in the face and shaking with rage.

Someone said this to me on a message board jsut last month: "Circular logic. We claim it's a choice...you say we can't prove it. You claim it is...we say you can't prove it. So who is right?"

Crimony!

I'm looking forward to the day when people like that don't exist anymore, though that will most likely be when people don't exist at all, anymore.