Tuesday, November 25, 2008

If you don't like gay marriage, don't have one!






11 comments:

Doug said...

HAHA, love the title :) Couldn't have said it better myself.

naturgesetz said...

And if you don't like slavery, don't own a slave. Don't go forcing your morality on slaveowners.

Anonymous said...

Naturgesetz... what a stupid thing to say. truly indicative of the "logic" of "mother church" I'm glad that it's so easy for you lump the plight of slavery in with the modern gay experience and from what you've written it seems you'd rather go back in time and not abolish slavery if it would lend credence to denying gays the right to marry today. There will come a day when you will reap what you have sewn you miserable, old, self-loathing, repressed, lonely, disgusting kook. -fin-

naturgesetz said...

Let me try to explain it it terms that you can't get into a snit over by pretending that I said something I didn't say and feeling all smug and self-righteous over it.

When people see an issue as having importance for society as a whole, whatever the issue, whether it is slavery, marriage, abortion, gambling, drugs, tobacco saying "You don't have to own a slave, have a gay marriage, have an abortion, gamble, do drugs, or smoke if you don't want to," does nothing to answer their opinion that the thing in question is detrimental to society as a whole. Whether they are right or wrong about it, a slogan like that is entirely beside the point of their opposition.

And, mind you, I am not commenting here on which side I think is right or wrong. I am only commenting on the usefulness of the slogan in the debate.

BTW, you got it backwards as to what slavery corresponds to in my analogy — perhaps not surprising if your best arguments are nothing but name-calling and veiled threats.

D. said...

love the title as well.

seems like we've got some problems here (in regards to the dispute that has broken out) :(

can't we all just get along?

Steevo said...

My first impulse is to delete "thetruthaboutjay" 's post. But N-man held his own quite well. And sometimes if you can't be a good example (of polite disagreement) then you can be a terrible warning (of terminal cranial rectumitis!).

So Jay, u man enuf to apologize? Were u just so pissed that you posted too quickly?

If not, well maybe you'll at least grow up enuf someday to disagree strongly w/ N-man w/o such puerile name-calling.

N-man and I agree on very little, and we have had some heated email exchanges. But I also notice how kind and gentle and supportive he is with our teen brothers who r having the usual hard times w/ breakups, etc.

Sometimes families have kindly grandpas who have their own ideas, and some of the grandkids might think he's a bit odd. But he is entitled to his own opinion. He's lead a dedicated and sincere life. [This is not meant to be patronizing... but it's coming out that way! srry.]

But you damn well better not mess with him. He's an elder and deserves a modicum of respect.

The phrase itself is snide and comic, a very slightly low blow. It's an attention grabber so maybe people will think twice about an issue.

steevo
.
.

Anonymous said...

Naturgesetz I appreciate your words for what they are worth in you response but whipping out some twisted tautology for the sake of "comedy" or a smarmy head-nod of approval is not ok. I believe steevo when he says that I should be more gentle. as for the modicum of respect he feels I owe to an elder. Simply put, I do not feel that I need to give respect to a person who doesn't respect the station that slavery holds for some of us. Regardless of whether or not you believe in the N-bomb doesn't excuse you of the weight of the consequence for using it in the wrong venue. Neither then does usage of the phrase "Don't like slavery, don't own a slave."

Anonymous said...

Jay--- I have no idea what you are saying in this last comment. Your meaning is lost on me perhaps because your writing is not clear by the conventions of standard written language. Or I am just too stoopid to get it? I sense your anger, but not at all clear what has pissed you off so. Remember we dont know u at all so we have no context in which to read your comment.

naturgesetz said...

Jay —

It is precisely because I realize that slavery an issue on which the impossibility of a hands-off attitude is clear, that I thought it could show that for many opponents of gay marriage it is a question of what constitutes a good society. In no way did I intend to minimize the evil of slavery; nor did I intend to say that gay marriage is morally equivalent to slavery or of equal importance as an issue.

I am sorry to have offended you, and maybe others, with what I thought was a clear illustration, and no more than that, of why the argument based on the opponents' lack of personal involvement does not persuade.

Lightning Baltimore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lightning Baltimore said...

There's a huge difference, though, between:

If you don't believe in the forced subjugation of others, don't do it yourself.

and

If you don't believe someone deserves certain rights, don't demand them for yourself.