I had a very good wank talk with my mom in about 4th grade. I was utterly clueless about that one particular piece of the pie in an ultra progressive home where nudity was unremarkable (...unless there was company of course). Sexual topics could be discussed at the dinner table...nobody was ever uncomfortable. Dad was the primary instructor for some reason as I recall now anyway. So I had no body image problems and had a fairly clear idea of intercourse (which seemed confusing), erections, etc. and to end a "lesson" I usually told dad what he wanted to hear: "OK, dad, I'll come see you if I have any more questions."
He was utterly kewl and relaxed. If I giggled he told me it was fine and he'd chuckle too. He always made sure I knew that sex was an important part of who I was and also, as icing on the cake, that it was often loads of fun. He even knew that I played with "it" and it felt good, and was supposed to. He told me I'd understand more as I got older. When I asked how he "knew" he said I was a boy and all boys and men do it. Just what we do. NO harm, no foul.
But somehow wanking got left out or I did not understand it specifically. There was SO much info to digest!!! I had heard some boys talking at school, was not sure what they were talking about so... mini-steevo goes home and mom is the first rent available. So ask her, right?
Well, she got out the note pad and pencil. She explained without a trace of embarrassment just what it was. And, what was really kewl... she drew pictures a kid could understand. "This is a penis soft, this is an erection, etc". Finally she got to the up and down, back and forth part! "And when you are older and your body gets bigger you will ejaculate, which many guys call cumming* or shooting. Remember learning about sperm?" And so on.
I think I often requested a follow-up "lesson" from mom cuz she did those great pictures. By 6th grade or so I was the resident sexpert at school, no small honor! "ask stevie...he'll know..." And if I didn't a rent would explain it and I'd report back next school day. I knew the definition of gay, but not the reality of it all. Until the summer before 9th grade which I think I blogged about. If not, I'll work on a g-rated version and post it.
A friend sent me this video. He's also a teacher and knows I sometimes co-teach sex-ed. I wonder if I could get permission to show it with just the boys?
Hope you enjoyed a trip down my memory lane. If your experience was not like mine, that's OK. Even today lots of parents are embarrassed by the topics. Go figure. Sex is everywhere, sells anything, permeates our media, but many parents just don't get it.
Some of you will have kids someday, two daddies being more and more acceptable. So get real, my sweeties.
*LOL: spellcheck knew the right spelling, 2 Ms. Ha! I thot it looked wrong!
He was utterly kewl and relaxed. If I giggled he told me it was fine and he'd chuckle too. He always made sure I knew that sex was an important part of who I was and also, as icing on the cake, that it was often loads of fun. He even knew that I played with "it" and it felt good, and was supposed to. He told me I'd understand more as I got older. When I asked how he "knew" he said I was a boy and all boys and men do it. Just what we do. NO harm, no foul.
But somehow wanking got left out or I did not understand it specifically. There was SO much info to digest!!! I had heard some boys talking at school, was not sure what they were talking about so... mini-steevo goes home and mom is the first rent available. So ask her, right?
Well, she got out the note pad and pencil. She explained without a trace of embarrassment just what it was. And, what was really kewl... she drew pictures a kid could understand. "This is a penis soft, this is an erection, etc". Finally she got to the up and down, back and forth part! "And when you are older and your body gets bigger you will ejaculate, which many guys call cumming* or shooting. Remember learning about sperm?" And so on.
I think I often requested a follow-up "lesson" from mom cuz she did those great pictures. By 6th grade or so I was the resident sexpert at school, no small honor! "ask stevie...he'll know..." And if I didn't a rent would explain it and I'd report back next school day. I knew the definition of gay, but not the reality of it all. Until the summer before 9th grade which I think I blogged about. If not, I'll work on a g-rated version and post it.
A friend sent me this video. He's also a teacher and knows I sometimes co-teach sex-ed. I wonder if I could get permission to show it with just the boys?
Hope you enjoyed a trip down my memory lane. If your experience was not like mine, that's OK. Even today lots of parents are embarrassed by the topics. Go figure. Sex is everywhere, sells anything, permeates our media, but many parents just don't get it.
Some of you will have kids someday, two daddies being more and more acceptable. So get real, my sweeties.
*LOL: spellcheck knew the right spelling, 2 Ms. Ha! I thot it looked wrong!


1 comment:
Haha, I saw that vid a while ago. It's hilarious. Are you hinting that we should be seeing kids about your ankles sometime in the near-ish future?
I like how the "word verification" for me is "unbeast." lol XD
Post a Comment