Saturday, October 3, 2009

How Pink Shirt Day started two years ago

CBC News - Canada - Bullied student tickled pink by schoolmates' T-shirt campaign

Shared via AddThis

September 2007

Two Nova Scotia students are being praised across North America for the way they turned the tide against the bullies who picked on a fellow student for wearing pink.

The victim — a Grade 9 boy at Central Kings Rural High School in the small community of Cambridge — wore a pink polo shirt on his first day of school.

David Shepherd, left, and Travis Price decided to spread word of their 'sea of pink' campaign on the internet.

David Shepherd, left, and Travis Price decided to spread word of their 'sea of pink' campaign on the internet.
(CBC)

Bullies harassed the boy, called him a homosexual for wearing pink and threatened to beat him up, students said.

Two Grade 12 students — David Shepherd and Travis Price — heard the news and decided to take action.

"I just figured enough was enough," said Shepherd.

read more

.

.

5 comments:

Aek said...

Great story there. :)

Anonymous said...

I remember hearing this story when it first came out. It was so uplifting and, not to be cliche, but really did reaffirm my faith in some of today's young people. Thanks for the story.

Mike said...

I am so self conscious about wearing "gay" colors to work. I have been developing a "so what" attitude over the past couple years, and it is awesome. I wore a pink buttondown shirt and a purple polo a few weeks back. I was worried working with middle and high schoolers they'd say or ask if I were gay, but no, they all said how great the colors look on me. Anyways, that's a great story!

Gauss Jordan said...

Stellar. :-)

You know, 2 years ago (before I came out to my coworkers and friends) I wore a red / white striped shirt out to an event, and did hear from a friend that it was "a little gay." Little did they know... :-P

I've now got some really sweet purple shirts, lavender shirts, and even a couple of rainbow shirts (wore this one in honor of "National Coming Out Day" to a couple of random parties yesterday).

I'd wear pink, but it looks horrible with my skin color. ;-P

Anonymous said...

CLEBURNE, Texas - Friends and loved ones of a 15-year-old Cleburne boy who took his own life say he was repeatedly bullied and teased.

FOX 4 and myFOXdfw.com don’t typically report on suicides, but in this case the teen’s family wants all families to be aware of the serious consequences of bullying.

Family members said Hunter Layland was a freshman at Cleburne High School. He also had a hearing problem and facial scars because of an accident when he was a toddler.

Several classmates made fun of him, Hunter’s family said. They made fun of the way he looked and someone once told him “if I had a face like yours I’d shoot myself.”

Hunter committed suicide on Wednesday.


Teen Suicide and School Bullying

There are suicide and bullying prevention resources available on Centers for Disease Control’s Web site.

A sobering “anti-bullying” film is now circulating through high school campuses across the country.

The film “Sticks and Stones” was produced by a New Jersey district attorney’s office and is based on the true story of a teen who took his own life after being bullied.

According to the CDC, suicide is the third leading cause of death for 15 to 24-year-olds and the government health organization encourages parents to talk with their children about respecting their peers.



I so wish that there were more
students like those two...Schools
would be a way much better place
for children if they would all
ban together against hate of all
kinds...
The child in the story didn't go
to the school (or district) that
I am employed at...But since
I work in the cafeteria I do see
a lot of bullying going on and I
put a stop to it really quick...
I always have and always will...

Hugs!

Laurie