Thursday, September 17, 2009

Goodbye Childhood Touchstone


Mary Travers
of
Peter Paul & Mary

Mary Travers died yesterday. My parents were huge fans of her and the group. It was the 60s and Mary and the other two were icons in an era that had many, but few as authentic and inspiring. They sang of peace and justice and inspired their audiences to get involved. I'm sure I heard Mary's music when I was in diapers. Sometime in the 80s I learned more about her and what PP&M music meant to my parents.

Mary's clear pure voice is part of my memory forever. I went to one or two reunion concerts with my parents in 80s I guess. And I was surprised to see many people my age there. Some thought it wasn't too cool in my high schooldays to admit being a fan. But I was. And my best friends were too. PP&M and Mister Rogers were part of my early childhood and beyond.

Dan and I went to a concert a few years ago as guests of all 4 rents. It was remarkable to see at least 4 generations represented. From snow white hair and stooped shoulders to infants in baby carriers, we all enjoyed a common musical heritage from the 60s.

Dan texted me that Mary had died and I shared some memories with my classes. Many students said who? But I sang a few bars of several songs (Puff the Magic Dragon, Lemon Tree, If I had a Hammer) and they said, "Oh them! Yeah, I remember now!" A fitting legacy!







-
-

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly the media doesn't seem all that interested in her passing but just for kicks I played "Puff" for the kids on Youtube yesterday and they loved it. Off to the bookstore today to get it in book form. :-)

Anonymous said...

I saw coverage here in USA. NPR, PBS, newspapers, online.

Jason Carwin said...

Two years ago, my grandma got a record player for Christmas, and the first song she played was "Puff." She then informed all of us that "Puff" was to play at her funeral. She apparently has already made a playlist.

Anonymous said...

Here in Australia we got a very good news coverage of Mary's passing - very sad. My older brother was a big fan, so I got plenty of exposure - took a few years to fully appreciate them as you pointed out the 60's threw up many great musical icons, and time showed us they held thier own with the best. We have lost Mary but the music will live on.
Kindest regards Stef.