Sunday, August 10, 2008

People ask why I risk being OUT at school

I am out at school to the degree that all the staff knows since we socialize with some of them frequently. I have a picture of Dan as a screen saver on my "teacher" computer. When students slip into gay bashing comments, I warn them, and they all know I simply will not tolerate it. One line I use is, "I have gay family members, and it bothers me a lot when I hear that sort of language." If a student asks as part of a



casual conversation: "Hey, Mr _________, have you seen Dark Night yet?" I am likely to reply, "No, but Dan and I are going to see it this weekend." ... "Who's Dan?"... "Oh, he's my partner [guess I could say husband] ...we've been together for a long time." Once a student was sorta clueless about partner and together and asked, "Partner?" Thinking quickly and wanting to appear as matter of fact as if I were str8, I managed a "We're like married, we live together." Then he/she got it.

Now if a student is asking to be a rude jerk, I stay calm and pretend I don't understand his very obvious motivation and say something like, "Ya know Bobby, I don't care to discuss my personal life right now. We can chat after class if you like, but right now we need to stick to math, [or whatever class it is]."

One time Jimmy [big mouth, mean streak] did stay after class. He was trying to embarrass me. I was ready for him, so I waited until just the two of us we alone in the classroom and closed the door.
I fiddled with some paperwork for a few seconds, so could could stew in his own juices a bit. By then he had lost most of his nerve and all his audience, so: advantage queer. I was excessively kind and gentle, seeking a teachable moment, and I quietly and calmly sed, "So Jimmy, what was it you wanted to ask me?" He was flustered. I told him it was OK, just ask. He was now polite but was avoiding eye contact with me. Finaly he sed he had heard that I was gay and he just wanted to know if it was true. Summonnig my most casual tone I sed, "Oh, yeah, it's true. No big deal. I'm gay. I live with Dan, my partner. We went to high school together. He comes to Varsity baseball games here sometimes. We both played on the same team in high school. If you go to the games, come by and say hi. I'll introduce you."

He said something like, "Oh, OK, Mr. _______. Sorry i was sorta a jerk in class today. I gotta get going." I smiled, shook his hand and sed, "No problem, Jimmy. We can talk anytime you want to."

After that Jimmy was the nicest boy in the world and always worked hard and earned good grades. I had him in class a few more times. We'd say hello passing in the hall, etc. He was always genuinely pleased to see me and seemed to kind of go out of his way to cross paths with me. Once a month or so Jimmy came by my classroom to simply visit, ask how Dan was, etc. I thought, how cool. One less homophobe in the school. It was easy to talk to him. Gay "stuff" never came up. Just two guys talking; often about baseball.
dutch 16 year old boy by marjanhols.
Fast forward to Jimmy's senior year. Baseball season. Jimmy was popular and well respected. Dan and I are at a Varsity baseball game. Jimmy comes walking up to me and Dan, and he has another boy with him. I'm talking serious HUNK. At least a 9+. "Hey Mr. ___________, howz it goin? I want you to meet my boyfriend. Paul, this is Mr. K__________, the best teacher I ever had in this school." So we did ritual introductions all around, me introducing Dan as my partner.

Now you know why I am out at school. I'm no hero, the risk is minuscule. And you never know.

Dan reads this blog, even comments at times as anonymous. He insisted I post this story on the blog. Here it is, hott stuff! xo
.
.
.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always said it, the worst and true homophobes (not the people that joke and really have no clue) are often gay people themselves. What an encouraging story! He must really have been going through some difficult times when he was giving you trouble; probably trying to deny his newfound feelings and everything. How cool that you were able to be an encouragement for him, just by beig out.

D. said...

good thing dan insisted posting this story. very nice and touching!

i'm sure you woulda been my favorite teacher too if i attended your school :D

Zee said...

This was a great post. It really reached out to me. Like James said, many closet gay guys act homophobic. I know I can be pretty homophobic. There are two reasons we are like this. The first would be that we are afraid of our own feelings so we deny it to ourselves. The other would be that we don't want people to think we are gay.

Dan, thanks for making him post this!

Laurie said...

That is GREAT!!! LOVE IT!!! I wish
we worked at the same school you
and I could be a BIG powerhouse.
I'm like you and when I hear the
kids say 'THAT'S GAY' or 'FAG'. I
don't flip out I just say 'IF YOU
HEAR ME SAY IT THAN YOU CAN. IF YOU
DON'T HEAR ME SAY IT THAN DON'T'
I also let them know I will not
tolerate hate of ANY kind.

Here's wishing you a GREAT school
year! May your students be the
best in the school!

HUGS!!!!

Steevo said...

James---
I emailed "Jimmy" yesterday and told him the story was "up". He lives in Europe now. I had his permission to tell the story. He now sez he doesn't remember exactly why he was such a brat early on. He remembers admiring me, but also not sure he could trust me. I think he was testing me to see if I was worthy of his admiration. Once he knew it was OK, he sed he liked just being around a grown up who he knew was on his side.

David---
Thanks for the compliment. Mutual I'm sure! I hope some gay tens r lurking and reading and building up some courage to feel good about who they r and realize there r lots of guys just like them. All wanting friends.

Zee---
Dan sez you're welcome! He shares my activism on behalf of gay teens. But I'm the writer and extrovert who will ask some pointed questions and try to gently nudge someone who needs a little nudging.

Laurie---
Thanks for your kind words. Sounds like you don't need me there. You seem to be doing just fine. Gay kids will find you and most of the time you will not even know it. They will gravitate to you just to hear what you say and feel better to know that at least one grown up is kind and accepting.

So all you Jimmies out there is blogland: Stay strong. Look for support when you need it. Every school has gay teachers and kind tolerant straight teachers who will listen to you and not judge or tell. You can sort of" test" them to be sure. Use the ever popular "cousin ploy": "Hey Ms Smith, guess what? I just got an email from my cousin. He told me he's gay. What should I tell him? I'm confused." If the teacher's response if positive and supportive, feel safe to say, "Well, really I think maybe I'm gay. Sometimes I feel so lonely." ---or something like that. You know who the teachers r that care about students. They do not have to be gay either. Like Laurie above. She's a lunch room mom! And she "gets it"! In fact in many school districts we get special training on how to support students dealing with these issues. Schools know it is important to help so you can feel safe and learn.

steevo
.
.
.

D. said...

i like the picture! :)

Steevo said...

BTW---- in interest of full disclosure...

The picture is not me.

Dan sez I am much prettier.

But he has the benefit of seeing me w/o clothing.

JUSTIN said...

Wow, that was an great story! We need more teachers like you in this world.