Well school has been out for a week now. I'm enjoying time off. Teaching is very intense, especially the way I do it. Dan says I should learn to slow down. Yeah, right! But I do see the wisdom of his suggestion. I need to work smarter, not harder, so I can have more time to spend with students, which is the best part of the job, not the F'n paperwork.
Dan is my partner of many years. We are both early-mid 30s. We have known each other since 2nd grade when within 2 months our families moved onto the same tree lined well manicured street, two houses apart.
Same Catholic grade school, same public HS. We started out as devout Catholic boys. But as the sadly late George Carlin said, you grow! My uncle is not that much older than me. He's gay. Great person who dotes on me/us since he has no kids.
Dan and I were good students, did many team sports in school, got accepted to very good DIFFERENT Unis. That was awful, but probably a good thing. We became "involved" beyond the usual kid sex play stuff just before our Freshman year in HS.
I was largely clueless until one day at the creek skinny dipping... well it was wonderful. It all clicked for me at once. Since we had no ingrained homophobia, I was just cruising along enjoying my close bond with Dan. He hit puberty 6 months before me. He knew what he wanted way b4 me. Even confided with MY uncle to ask what to do... My queer Uncle..he hates that title... so I use it now and then! I told him the other day that he was getting older now so maybe we should call him AUNTIE!
Dan and I were virtual brothers I guess. Kind of lived at either house. Shared everything. And being budding brainiacs we talked and talked and there was no topic out of bounds. Our rents all have University/education professions. In the helping professions we could say.
Once we did it, we knew it was good and had no guilt. It felt right and we knew it. Shy maybe. Not ready to telegraph our new skills to any and all...
Came out to rents soph year. I was so pissed! Their response was, "Well, duh!" Mom took us all out to our fav restaurant to celebrate. Well, it was her idea so dad said she could pay! Then the rents had to argue over splitting the bill.
We engineered it to tell our rents separately, but at the same time. Both sets of rents are good friends too. Out Day is celebrated annually cuz we get a big free fancy meal. Recently we were lovingly reminded that they looked forward to _grandkid day_! lol
We assured them we did too. Soon I hope. We are planning and getting advice how to proceed. The rents offered us a big wedding (YAY Cali), but we are not sure. I applaud the decision by the court. But for us, well, we know we have been married for a long time. We'd rather have the cash for toys 4 the kid! LOL We will be great parents!
I already have a nice picture of Dan and me in an unmistakably romantic pose on my screen saver on my desk at school. Very tasteful, but, let me put it this way, anybody with an IQ over the century mark can tell we ain't just affectionate brothers! So it will be great to add a kid in the picture.
OK enough blathering on. Chores to do. Maybe I should whitewash the picket fence.
If English is not your first language, feel free to ask me to explain anthing you do not get. Blog language is a whole world unto its own!
Steevo in cali
Dishing Out Healthy And Delicious Meals
-
People with a gift for serving up delicious-but healthful-dishes say it's
important to present food that tastes good, is made with natural
ingredient...
2 years ago


8 comments:
your kid(s) will be very lucky to have you two as parents. so much love in the family :)
If you'd like I have a 14 year
old attitude problem you can have.
HA! Just kidding he really isn't
that bad.
Thank you for the props to me.
Makes me feel good.
I hope it's alright to add you
to my blog.
Of course, Laurie. I have taught at elementary and middle school level also. Lunch ladies are very important.
It's awesome to hear about people who were able to have a real experience of growing up together . . . too many don't have the luck or the courage to be kids in love. Happy for you, man.
Your point (in a later post) about safety is well made, but it's hard for kids who are on the high of the first time to understand that. I was pretty cautious but I still made the possibly dumb mistake of just asking if he was clean and believing him, rather than demanding protection.
"Rents" "soph year" It is probably not my english, although possibly ur blogspeak :D
what do these words mean? =\
"Rents" "soph year" It is probably not my english, although possibly ur blogspeak :D what do these words mean? =\
I came out to my parents in sophomore year.
Yay! Finally commenting!! I envy your situation with Dan. Things like that don't happen, gay, straight or otherwise. Really, it's like it's from a book or movie.
You should write a book about it!! :D I <3 kids. I hope you have kids soon too.
Post a Comment