Thursday, April 3, 2008

SOUTH PACIFIC







South Pacific! First Broadway revival since it opened in 1949. Familiar with it? My HS did a production when I was a sophomore. I was not in it, but helped friends build scenery. I was a jock who loved Broadway shows! Freaky, huh? Blame the 'rents! Great music, and it's mainly about discrimination and learned prejudice. And romance, of course. And sailors!

History Lesson [whadja expect?]

This musical stirred up a LOT of sh*t when it came out about 60 years ago. It dealt with the issue of interracial marriage and held that prejudice was taught, not a natural human characteristic. It was soundly condemned as radical, communist, un-American... Sound familiar? Maybe Obama should have attended tonight's opening on Broadway.


NPR today: (listen) http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=89309296

My favorite song is "You've Got To Be Carefully Taught!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You've_Got ... lly_Taught
.
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is one of my mum's favorites. she liked the issues it points out, and how it laid bare a lot of prejudice in America.

Anonymous said...

dood! gotta update the blog! :P