Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Do YOU know what "Stonewall" means?



From HRC website.

Youth Perspectives on Stonewall

June 30, 2009 4:33PM
Michael Cole

Hoping to capture a different perspective on the Stonewall anniversary, I asked our summer communications interns Paul Richards and Samantha Citron for their thoughts on what the event means to them:

Paul Richards:

I’m embarrassed to admit it, but I didn’t know what happened at Stonewall until last year when it finally occurred to me to do some Googling. I’m not sure if this is a product of the generational divide in the LGBT community that everyone seems to be talking about lately or the simple fact that I’m a 21-year-old who’s only been out of the closet for two years. My first exposure came in a queer politics-themed English class I took last year. On the first day of class our professor passed around a clipping from the New York Daily News, dated July 6, 1969. “Homo Nest Raided, Queen Bees Are Stinging Mad,” read the bold headline. The portrayal of the gay bar goers that followed was laced with homophobic and derogatory language, and I was shocked that a newspaper would ever print this story as objective “news.” This article motivated me to learn a little bit more about my history, although I can’t even come close to claiming expertise or complete understanding. more

1 comment:

D. said...

thanks for sharing. both accounts were great!