Sunday, February 22, 2009

Young Gay Writer wins Oscar for MILK screenplay


.
Read this! Young GLBTQ people get recognition at Oscars.

Written by Dustin Lance Black

ACCEPTANCE SPEECH


Oh my God. This was, um, this was not an easy film to make. First off, I have to thank Cleve Jones and Anne Kronenberg and all the real-life people who shared their stories with me. And, um, Gus Van Sant, Sean Penn, Emile Hirsch, Josh Brolin, James Franco and our entire cast, my producers Dan Jinks and Bruce Cohen, everyone at Groundswell and Focus for taking on the challenge of telling this life-saving story. When I was 13 years old, my beautiful mother and my father moved me from a conservative Mormon home in San Antonio, Texas to California, and I heard the story of Harvey Milk. And it gave me hope. It gave me the hope to live my life. It gave me the hope one day I could live my life openly as who I am and then maybe even I could even fall in love and one day get married.

I wanna? I wanna thank my mom, who has always loved me for who I am even when there was pressure not to. But most of all, if Harvey had not been taken from us 30 years ago, I think he'd want me to say to all of the gay and lesbian kids out there tonight who have been told that they are less than by their churches, by the government or by their families, that you are beautiful, wonderful creatures of value and that no matter what anyone tells you, God does love you and that very soon, I promise you, you will have equal rights federally, across this great nation of ours. Thank you. Thank you. And thank you, God, for giving us Harvey Milk.
ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY

This is the first Academy Award nomination for Dustin Lance Black.

see speech here...
.
Links to recent NPR interviews with Dustin Lance Black:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=100889436

.
.

9 comments:

Rox said...

That was beautifully said. It was extremely moving when I watched him, and I felt the same way I felt when I was watching "Prayers for Bobby." I do believe we are moving in the right direction in getting our rights. It's being recognized.

Everything I felt turned into raged when my stepfather said "Show me in the bible where God says he loves gays."

I wanted to say "Show me in the bib where God says he hates gays."

I wish I did.

Great post, mate.

Rox said...

The ending of Sean Penn's speech was great as well

Rev. Donald Spitz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
billy said...

How can a man so full of hate pretend to be the servant of a God of Love?

Steevo said...

i had to trash spitz. ...not on my blog, you hater...

Mirrorboy said...

lol. well that's the end of that chapter.

D. said...

A guy from my high school actually hooked up or something with DLB at some point. Random fact.

PS: What exactly did spitz say...?

Anonymous said...

You go Mirrorboy!
I don't know what the prick said, and honestly don't want to. I grew up in a church environment and have had all the debates on the subject, (and would discuss it with anyone who wanted to) but I've always seen that God loves gays. Not to get all 'churchy' on your ass, but I've experienced real miracles in my life and I'm gay...

Greetings to the writer of this blog ands Hugs to MB

Anonymous said...

ohhhh steevo don't remove hater comments they make me lol